Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We said our goodbyes one last time....

Today is D day and this time they will not be coming back until the end.  It was 5:45am as we headed out towards the base.  As we rode along we went over all the things I need to keep up with or do while he is gone that we have discussed so many times already.  I think we kept talking because if silence came the flood gates would open up and I was trying sooooo hard not to cry for Alex's sake.  A few tears escape anyway despite my every effort.  I built my strength up so much in preparation for this day and it being our second time in less than two months, I believe made it easier this time to say goodbye or so I thought.  We pulled into the pier and parked.  I got out and gave him a huge hug, not wanting to let him go, but knew if I didn't make it quick, I would break down into tears.  I gave him a kiss and went to get Alex out.  We tried to make this seem like Daddy was taking a fun trip on this big ship and we would all see him soon.  No tears, just tight hugs and Alex and I both waving bye to Daddy and telling him we love him.

I drove off seeing him boarding the ship.  We didn't stay behind to see the ship pulling out; it would have just been too much.  Alex and I went to Mc Donalds for breakfast afterwards.  Still my strength sustained and we made it through breakfast and then drop-off at school with no problems.  As I was driving to his school to pick him up that afternoon it finally hit me the reality of our life for the next 6 months.  I kept thinking of all the events he is going to miss; Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines Day, my birthday, this baby growing in me, the ultrasound where the doctor announces whether it is a boy or a girl, and God Forbid the birth of this baby.  The flood gates open and the tears are pouring as I am driving towards his school.  I take a deep breath and pull over short of the schools parking lot to wipe away the tears and dry my eyes.  I can't believe after all these hours I finally let my wall down.  I keep telling myself "not now, you have to hold it together for Alex's sake."  I knew these goodbyes would be a reality when I met him, I knew this when I married him. It never gets easier to say goodbye and adding a child to the mix makes saying goodbye that much more difficult.

I know we will all be ok and with the holidays coming up this time apart will hopefully pass by quickly.  I miss you sooooo much already baby!  I promise to take good care of Alex and Baby Boo #2 and keep the home fires burning till your return.  We love you soooooo much!

No comments:

Post a Comment