Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My little sweet pea

Today is one of those days that makes me realize how special and blessed I am to have such a wonderful little boy.  It makes me thankful that my Lord has entrusted me to care for one of his precious children.

Today was one of those busy work days; up before the sun even rises to get things ready for the day and working against a deadline yet trying to spare some time to get to the gym.  This is a typical day for me and by the time I pick up Alex in the afternoon I am beginning to feel the exhaustion and I know I still have dinner to get on the table.  I am walking down the hallway and peering into his classroom to see him and his classmates in a circle enjoying story time just as his eyes met mine.  I walk in and he sprints for me.  I pick him up and he gave me the biggest hug ever.  He must have hung tightly onto me for a good 2 minutes before he turned to my face and gave me a kiss on the cheek; he must have know I needed a big hug like that!

We had a great evening!  It was sunny and warm outside so we went out in the backyard for a little playtime before preparing dinner.  Dinner and bath time went over without a hitch.  We did story time and Alex snuggled up to me in the rocker with his head rested on my chest.  Alex has become such an independent little boy over the last year, but as of late he has become even more affectionate.  I am beginning to suspect that he knows he needs to enjoy this time before his new sibling arrives; before he has to share his Mommy's attention.

Whatever the reason, I love moments like these!  I have realized even more so in the last few weeks (since Dan deployed) that life passes us so quickly and we need to find any way to slow down that clock and enjoy these precious moments before they disappear.  I am so excited about adding a new little one to our family, but I am trying to seize this time that I have with just Alex and make the most of it.  

Dan, I know Alex is storing up a lot of this affection just for you and would share it with you in a heartbeat!  I have seen him hugging and talking to his Daddy doll as if he was talking to you.  We talk about you every night at story time and at prayer time and I tell him how much you love and miss him so much.  We both love you and miss you lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment